We simply had a wonderful time this past weekend at the annual Strawberry Festival here in Kimmswick. Thank you so very much to everyone who came to visit our charming little town! Thank you to all the people of Kimmswick, who worked hard to make this event happen, and to the vendors, musicians, and other folks who make it a success every year.
Strawberries are truly the quintessential summer treat, and there are so many ways to enjoy them. Today, I’m sharing a recipe just for that purpose. This delightful gem is from A Celebration of Cooking: 20 Years of Blessings, a cookbook dedicated to my customers, employees, family, and friends.
Strawberry Shortcake Pie
10-inch deep dish pie crust, baked and cooled
1 Yellow cake layer, split horizontally into two layers, trimmed to fit pie shell, reserving edges (Butter cake recipe)
16 oz. whipped topping
6 oz. cream cheese
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
4 oz. white chocolate, melted
1 t. vanilla
8 oz. whipped topping
Beat cream cheese until light and smooth. Add sugar, then melted chocolate and vanilla. Fold in whipped topping and set aside.
Strawberry Glaze Mixture
2 pints fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
16 oz. Strawberry glaze
Mix together and set aside.
4 oz. White chocolate, cut into small pieces
2 oz. whipping cream
Heat cream in a small saucepan until hot and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate pieces and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside, stirring occasionally until cool enough to spread. If mixture is too hot, it will soak into the cake layer.
- Place 1/3 of the filling mixture into the crust and smooth out. Top with one cake layer, cut side up. Ice with ½ of the Ganache.
- Spread ½ strawberry glaze mixture on top of Ganache.
- Ice remaining cake layer, cut side up, with remaining ganache and invert on top of strawberry mixture.
- Frost entire cake, top and sides with remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Arrange remaining strawberry slices in glaze on top of pie, and pipe 16 oz. whipped topping from a decorating bag around sides of pie.
- Make crumbs with remaining trimmings of cake, and press into sides o fthe whipped cream. Drizzle with melted white chocolate. Chill and enjoy!
This treat is certain to be the hit of any summer gathering! Please enjoy it with those you love, and always remember that Dreams Really Do Come True!
All My Love,